Back to Article List
5 Essential Brain-Boosting Tips for Seniors
Sep 17, 2018 by Lisa Carson RN, BSN
As people get older, their cognitive abilities diminish. But, it doesn’t have to be that way. There are some ways through which the seniors can maintain their cognitive health and prevent forgetfulness from ever becoming a thing. Here are 5 of those methods!
- Eating a healthy diet – The seniors who eat a diet that’s rich in healthy fats and antioxidants are guaranteed to have a better brain health than those who eat junk food on a regular basis.
- Exercising regularly – “Mens sana in corpore sano” or in English “a healthy mind in a healthy body” should be the motto of your senior. If they lead an active lifestyle, the chances are that their brain functions will remain top notch for a long time.
- Having an active social life – Having a lot of friends is essential for the seniors as it helps them battle depression and many other emotional issues that are common among old people. Furthermore, socializing also gives their brain the kind of boost it needs.
- Brain stimulation – The brain of the seniors needs to be stimulated frequently in order to keep on working fine. To do that, the seniors ought to read books, watch movies, play cards, and so on.
- Sleep – One of the biggest enemies of cognitive function is insomnia. The seniors who don’t sleep enough are bound to have problems with remembering stuff.
The Role of Senior Care Providers
In order to maintain their cognitive health, the seniors need someone’s help. This goes double for those seniors who live alone. They simply don’t have enough time on their hands to focus on brain-boosting activities if they got to take care of all kinds of housekeeping duties on a regular basis.
If your job doesn’t let you help your senior loved one with this, you can hire a professional senior care provider. If the senior lives in Lubbock or some other part of Texas, you can hire Comfort Keepers for the job. To learn more about their home care services, call (806) 228-7359.